Oh my yum! Did you know that all you need to have sweet, thick, creamy ice cream in 5 minutes is a blender and a single ingredient: frozen bananas!?
Blended frozen bananas is a perfectly healthy alternative to ice cream (double win if you love bananas, yum yum!). Instead of breaking up into slush like most frozen fruits put in a blender, bananas have more sugar than water so it becomes a thick stick-together consistency just like dairy-based ice cream! The frozen sweet treat is the healthiest possible way to satisfy your ice cream craving, and there are countless ways to serve it up! Below, I have provided a list of different ideas to try, but the creative options for this ice cream is virtually endless. Go crazy.
Ready to try it? All you need is three very ripe bananas. Make sure they have at least a few little brown spots on the peel, since the more brown on the peel, the more ripe they are. And the more ripe they are, the sweeter they are.
One-Ingredient Ice Cream
• 3 Bananas
• Preferred Flavors
1. Peel the bananas and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
2. Put them in an air-tight container, pop them in the freezer, and leave them overnight until they are frozen solid.
3. Break the pieces apart with your hands or a spoon and put them in a blender or food processor.
4. Blend until totally creamy, about 2-3 minutes. You will have to stop the blender every so often to push down some pieces and make sure everything is getting blended evenly.
5. You can enjoy the ice cream right then, or place it in an air-tight container in the freezer to harden up a bit before scooping into bowls or cones.
For some tasty flavor combinations, try any of the options below. Go crazy, you can add anything!
Pineapple and Macadamia Nuts
Top with a few chunks of freshly sliced pineapple and chopped macadamia nuts.
Cinnamon Peanut Butter
Add 2 Tablespoons peanut butter and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the blender.
Add 1 cup chopped pecans and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the blender.
Add 1/2 cup frozen chopped mango and 1/2 cup frozen chopped peach to the blender.
Add 1 cup frozen raspberries to the blender. When blended, stir in 1/2 cup chopped almonds.
Simmer chopped apples with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Let thicken and cool, then pour over ice cream scoops.
Add 1 cup frozen chopped strawberries to the blender. When blended, stir in 1/2 cup chopped roasted, unsalted pistachios.
Add 1-2 Tablespoons of condensed chai tea mix to the blender. Top with a small sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add 1 cup frozen wild blueberries to the blender. Top with a sprinkling of chopped walnuts or almonds.
Top with a tablespoon of caramel sauce and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt.