These Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins are simple enough to put together and take 30 minutes or less to make. The sweet cream cheese on top adds a ton of flavor and I love how pretty they look. I enjoyed these muffins best served warm with butter (oh my word).
This is a fantastic recipe with a lot of versatility – have some fun with it! The sweet cream cheese on top can be swirled in or piped into the middle. If you feel like going for a different taste profile you can also swap the pumpkin puree for mashed sweet potatoes. I used sweet potatoes a few times when I was out of season for pumpkin and was craving these glorious little muffins.
These Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins are my favorite pumpkin muffins ever. You start with a super moist spiced pumpkin muffin and top it with swirls of sweet cream cheese that melt into the top as it bakes. My whole family ADORED these muffins and were devoured almost as quickly as I could get them out of the oven. My advice? Bake a second batch (and hide them) just in case.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (pure pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Sweet Cream Cheese:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cups into muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. This will not look smooth, but it will bake up much prettier. You can also pipe them into the middle of the muffin for a burst of yum!
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Try not to eat them all in one sitting. 😉 Enjoy.