Who doesn’t love cream, cheese, ham, and bacon? There is really no combination of those ingredients that would yield anything except heaven. Besides, this recipe also calls for gnocchi which are thick, soft dough dumplings that may be made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potato, breadcrumbs, and/or cornmeal.
Trust me on this one, try this. You won’t be disappointed.
Creamy Gnocchi with Ham + Peas
- Kosher salt
- 1 16-oz. package store-bought potato gnocchi
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 oz. ham steak, diced
- 3 tbsp. minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 oz. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. frozen sweet peas, thawed and divided
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a small handful of salt (about 3 tablespoons) and gnocchi. Once gnocchi float to the surface, remove from pot and transfer to a large platter. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and cook ham. Remove ham from skillet and set aside with cooked gnocchi. Add shallots, garlic, and cream to skillet and simmer over medium heat. Once mixture has reduced by a third, add Parmesan and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add gnocchi mixture and half the peas and continue to simmer over low heat, 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a shallow baking dish and bake until mixture has thickened, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and top with the remaining peas and fresh basil leaves. Drool heavily and serve.